Working abroad

Working from somewhere else (aka workation or temporary remote work) in the European Union

Housesitting? Workation? Do you plan to work from a different address than your home address? Then please bear this in mind:

  1. Consult with your immediate colleagues whether the work permits it. Make agreements about time zones, for example. At which meetings/standup do you have to be present? Your colleagues are also allowed to change / re-discuss /evaluate the specific working abroad situation.
  2. If you are going to work from a different address for more than a week, tell the HR Officer your residential address. This is necessary because we have to be able to reach you, for example when you are ill.

Please keep the following things in mind

  • You have to arrange (travel) insurances yourself
  • Check if you have to comply with local regulations, such as a work permit
  • Make sure you have a good, i.e. ergonomically workplace so that you can have a good working posture
  • Inform yourself about the security requirements of the workplace (and e.g. the wifi connection, VPN etc)
  • The same rules about being accessible to the employer and arbodienst (occ. health care provider), as well as the same rules for reporting sick, apply.
  • Your entitlement to commuting expenses lapses.
  • If the employer obliges you to return to the country of employment (standplaats) and if this involves costs, then these costs are for the colleague's own account. This is non-discussable.
  • Working abroad could be possible for a maximum of 5 months a year.


  • No form of rights can be derived from the fact that the possibility is offered to perform the work in another European country.

Business travel to South Africa

We also have a beautiful office in South Africa. Because we like to work together and stimulate cohesion, read below how we deal with travel and accommodation costs when visiting our location in South Africa.

In case of a completely businesslike nature of a visit, Voys is responsible for 100% of the accommodation and travel costs. In all other cases, the following compensation shall apply:

  • South Africa: A maximum of 15 overnight stays (maximum of 50 euros per night). A travel allowance of 150 euros. Visiting South Africa is subject to an additional principle, that your visit should contribute to further development and the success of Voys in South Africa. Therefore you have to arrange this with your circle members and with colleagues in South Africa.
πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦Tips and Tricks for working for Voys Europe at Voys South Africa

✈️Flight Policy

Permanent remote work β†’ Emigrating!

Working location independently is something we encourage as an organization. However, till now this has always had a temporary character (e.g. working in South Africa for 3 months).

Within the European Union, we have freedom of goods, services, and people. Unfortunately, it is not the case that on your own initiative, you can settle permanently abroad, taking your current (Dutch) employment contract with you.

This is because Dutch law applies to your employment contract. You pay taxes within the Netherlands, you are insured for illness, and have a Dutch 'place of employment' according to Dutch labor law, etc. If you do not meet these requirements, you are acting unlawfully, and your employment contract cannot, therefore, be upheld under Dutch law.

Current Dutch government regulations do make it possible to work outside the Netherlands, but with a maximum of 180 days. You are registered at a Dutch address according to the BRP (basic registration of persons), regardless of whether you are physically present there, and you will keep your current employment contract.

Researching the possibilities of emigrating and continuing to work for Voys are interesting issues in the phase we are into with our organization. We would like to refer you to another notion page to read more on ✈️ The future of hybrid work - the organizational and legal side of working abroad.